Anjali's Blog

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Waiting for snow and spring


I was being repeatedly shot with one question after another about winter and spring by my just turned four year old daughter, Anusha.She was finally convinced by my answer that when it snows it's winter and when flowers begin to bloom it's spring.From then on every morning she would religiously look out of the window to see the snow or flowers.
"Mummy,there is no snow,no flower.What is it outside?"
I patiently explained to her that it is winter,but it does not snow everyday.You have to wait for the snow.She was disappointed,but to my relief decided not to bother me with her further queries.
Days begin to pass,my daughter still waiting for snow.I almost began to feel sorry for her.Why was it this very year that Mother Nature decided not to bring any snow? Of course, Anusha had played in twelve inches deep snow last winter,except that she no longer retained those memories.
Finally my daughter's patience was rewarded.It was almost the end of January.I checked for school closings early that morning and went back to sleep.I was woken up after about an hour by shrills of excitement by my two kids.
"It is all snow outside" I heard her talking to her brother in amazement. My angel's wishes had come true. I got up happy and pulled the curtains to make the snow visible from every room.The sun was now shining and reflected it's light on the accumulated white snow making everything brighter than ever. My kids rushed with their chores, ready to play outside.Used to the Indian climate,I am not very fond of snow,but had no intentions of ruining their fun!I bundled them up with scarves and snow jackets.My husband could not hold his excitement either,as he could take the liberty to stay and work from home too. Both of us decided to clear the driveway while the kids played.
Anusha,all excited jumped and played in snow,helped her brother make a snowman.Then they dug in the snow with shovels. I took a few pictures of both of them. She seemed very happy. They lay on the floor and made snow angels.My son threw snowballs at his sister.This kind of upset her.Her small hands with fat gloves could not make good snowballs. She was not ready for this kind of defeat.She made a big fuss and began crying.
I took her inside,with her brother and dad right behind me trying their level best to comfort her.
That was the end of it! She no longer wanted to play in the snow.
"I like spring better" she stated.
Now she looked out of the window everyday, hoping to get a glimpse of any flower outside the house.
After about a month she came running to me one day,and tried to pull me towards the front porch of the house.I followed her,and to my surprise all the daffodil and tulip bulbs I had planted had begun to give leaves. "Will the flowers come soon,mummy?"she inquired.


I told her that the plants needed water and little sunlight to grow. She ran to get her cup,filled it with water and began pouring it over the plants.Excited she made a dozen trips in and out of the house carrying water in her cup.She would observe the sunlight,water each and every plant holding the cup in her tiny hands.She did this everyday and petals began popping out of the plants.She was thrilled to see the beautiful yellow daffodils which had begun blooming by the next week ! The tulips are yet to bloom.
But, my prettiest flower, my daughter, was all blooming with joy and happiness ! Yes, spring is here !

3 Comments:

  • Aawww! How sweet! Did Anusha really say that!? I really miss her, and all of you even more now! And also the snow! I would love playing in the snow for hours until my socks were soaked. Spring isn't far. In fact, it would be there, wouldn't it? Here, the sun is blazing and it makes you all hot and sweaty. Ironically, I've got a bad cold. I'm waiting for the refreshing rains to start. Well written and touching, and very cute pictures! Hope to see a you all soon!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/24/2006 10:31 AM  

  • What innocence!What a lovely child Anusha is! I really like her picture trying to water plants. I have met her only for a while , but Anjali you are bringing up your children really well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/24/2006 11:53 AM  

  • Yes,Ritika.Official spring started
    on the 21st march.
    Thankyou Sangita di,hope whatever you said is true.Tumhare muh may ghee-shakkar!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/30/2006 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home